There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

Stroll and Roll - Wednesday June 30th

This morning I was honored to compete in the 4th annual "Stroll and Roll" at Riverview Care Center. Much like Bloomsday, participants get a T-shirt at the end of the event and no one knows the color of the shirts ahead of time. Grandma and I were a little late getting started but we managed to complete the course.
As we strolled amongst the flowers and water features the lovely lady featured above serenaded us dressed in her sequined shirt.
The course was packed! Grandma did one of her reincarnations of Grandpa as she prodded me to "hurry up" and "don't hold up the line." We only had to go around the course three times to get a t-shirt and I was in no hurry as I sang to the music.
Here is Grandma picking out a t-shirt. She asked for a Large so that she could give the shirt to her boys.
After we got our t-shirts Grandma wanted to continue going around the course. She kept telling me that we were only on lap 2 and that I was counting 1/3 of a lap as 1. At first I thought there was some dementia kicking in but then I realized that this was her sly way of keeping me going round and round. I think we finished a grand total of 7 or 8 laps. As we went around one corner I saw some young maintenance guys shooting one another with squirt guns. I warned Grandma to watch out for these hooligans. But instead of shooting at us they gave Grandma the gun. She then proceeded to shoot every staff member and plant within her reach! Be careful the next time you visit Grandma - you may get soaked!


Grandma brought her watergun to our BBQ table and kept it safely loaded and on her lap. Her tablemates joked about how we would get lunch first because we were armed. Sure enough the very first three plates of BBQ came to Grandma and her tablemates!
After lunch we went back to her room and tidied everything up. There was a letter from Joshua that she had already read from the day before. I read the letter to her again and she was just delighted. I thought this was a positive sign that even little things like a letter can bring Grandma joy over and over. I wish I would have spent more time during the last seven years getting to know my Grandmother. I am now constantly surprised by the new things I am learning about her personality.


0 comments: