There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

SUNDAY, JUNE 20th - FATHER'S DAY

Today we picked up Mom about 12 so she could spend the day at the house. Kirsten and Michaelyn cooked Pat a Father’s Day dinner using recipes that he picked out from Grandma’s Cookbook. We had Chinese Chicken, Zucchini Appetizer, Creamy Cucumbers, salad, and Rich Cookies. Mom seemed to have a good day… Again – let me communicate through short anecdotes.
1. When I called to let Riverview that we were going to take her for the day, the staff member who answered, said, “Ann? No way are you going to steal our favorite lady!!” We told Mom that and we think she loved that…
2. She is stronger so the transfers and the bathroom process was much easier this time.
3. We watched the video of pictures of her side of the family…and she really enjoyed that. It was impressive how much she knew. I am going to include two video clips of what she was saying during the video. At one point a house was in the picture and she just spit out the address in 2 seconds. We all laughed… (I accidentally deleted that part of the video. These are just videos taken by my Iphone so they are not great quality and the sound is poor, I know. But... I hope they give you a chance to 'see' Mom.) I think she feels good when she is able to remember so much.

Video Clips -
(This is a short clip where after watching the Kowal video, I asked Mom if she wanted to send a message to everyone. I was thinking she was going to say "Hope everyone is having a nice Father's Day...or something like that...but instead she says: "Well why don't you come visit me? ... Please don't be offended. She really was kidding. I don't remember this totally humorous Mom...but she now makes unbelievable funny remarks on an hourly basis. She is also kind and very appreciative...and occasionally cranky. For those of you who couldn't hear what Grandma said in an earlier video of her with the physical therapist: Everyone was telling her to push up with her hands to stand up... So she said, "Push, Push, Push - you better be careful when you say that to me...I think of the baby's head showing." (This IS a funny Mom!)

Link to: Grandma's Message http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wys_lHPFP8

Link to: A couple minutes with Grandma http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-NyQfLIkrY
(This is just a couple minutes of Grandma watching and identifying people. I just thought some of you would like to just watch and listen to Grandma for a bit.)

4. About 4:30 Pat asked Mom figuring out what time she might want to go back. (We were a little worried that she might be a little sad about returning….) Instead, her answer was, “Well, I think I should get going back pretty soon.” Those relationships that she is developing at Riverview are important and beginning to pay off. That place is beginning to feel a bit like her home…or home base. We will try and continue to try to make it as homey as possible.

That's all for now... Barb just called and she is spending the morning with Mom...

1 comments:

those videos were nice. Mom enjoyed going to your house that day and eating and spending time. She remembered eating chicken and chocolate chip cookies and mashed potatoes?. But that was right before bed that night. I looks like she enjoyed the videos also.