There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

When Mom is inconsolable

My morning reflections as I get ready to head to Mom's this morning.... I think most of you have been with her when she is crying/wailing. It can be pretty stressful. When she is so inconsolable you just don't know quite what to do... to leave, to comfort her, to tell her to stop, to try to divert her attention, to do nothing. We are going to talk about it at the care conference tomorrow...my guess is that the answer to what to do might be 'all of the above. '

Something that might help sustain all of us for a bit when we are in this situation is to think about the number of times that Mom (or our Moms) consoled us when we were inconsolable. In Mom's case when you think that it started in 1947 and there is a multiplication factor of 10 ..... it may be awhile before we can call it even, if you know what I mean.

3 comments:

Lyn or Kirsten, just remember not to say shhh to Mom. She might decide to punch you in the nose.

And yes the inconsolable crying is difficult. I too once believed it was blood sugar highs and lows that were responsible. But after spending a lot of unresponsive time and then getting a wink when I asked her if she wanted a milkshake I decided that I liked the glimpse of my Mom I was getting at such times. Love, Janice

 

I plan to visit tomorrow (Saturday) in the morning and again in the afternoon. I'll pick up a DVD player so people can bring movies to watch with mom. I noticed that movies sometime occupy her mind and seem to comfort her.

 

I know what you mean about the glimpses Janice. Thanks for the reminder about shhhh!

Thanks for the DVD player Jim!