There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

May 31 Rain has been non-stop today, but no tears are falling...

WRITTEN BY PAT:

I had both a son to mother talk and a conversation with mom this morning. The talk was about her desire to live with one of us. I used Lyn and I as an example and said the same would be true for all her children. I pointed out that if we moved her to our house that Lyn and I would still need to go to work, run errands and visit our friends and that she would end up many days spending most of her hours 'alone' with 1 or 2 caregivers. I told her I was gone from the house about 10 hours a day when I was working. At Riverview, you have a dozens of different caregivers checking on you throughout the day and you have 60 residents you can watch, listen to and talk to every day. I think this resonated with her as she does have a lot of contact with staff and other residents. I think yesterday Bingo experience was a positive first step in helping mom make social connections. This morning a cheerful stranger, Beth (?) my memories going, walked in and said good morning and sang "Jesus love me this I know ...." on tune and in good spirits.

She started our conversation by asking me "How is this being paid for?" I told her that she was paying for it from the trust Dad had set up for her. I told her she had a pension (?) social security, interest and oil revenue income. I told her not to worry about the costs. Then I told her that if she needed anything just ask and we would get if for her and Bill, as a Trustee would pay for it. I said if you think of anything that you want or need just ask. So, she said "Well I do need a watch that I can read". Then she said " I need a string for my glasses." Then " a new comforter." The she asked for a couch like she saw in a room down the hall. Huy and Kirsten have a shorter couch that may work nicely. I think she liked the idea that she has money to spend. Later a commercial came on for a 'hover chair' competition for the 'scooter' chair (?) and she said maybe she should have one of those. However, as Barb pointed, since she is pulling herself around some in her wheel chair that may be the best thing for her at this point.

Barb, Ryan, the girls and Kirsten brought in chinese food for lunch and we ate family style in a conference room. Mom fed herself and ate a little of everything.

This Wednesday at 3:00 will be Mass or a Eucharistic service downstairs, then at 4:00 we will go back upstairs for Wednesday wine and then Copper River Salmon for dinner at 5:00. I told the dietitian that mom would be having several guests.

She told me she could still read, but she can't turn pages, so tomorrow we will try out a computer they have available in the special care unit.

Now that she may be accepting this place as her home, I think we need ask her how to decorate so she will feel it is her space. The couch may be a great idea so that we have seating for at least four visitors.

Well, Happy Memorial Day... I thought alot about Dad today... God Bless All

1 comments:

This Post was written by Pat