There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

Involvement

I have managed to visit grandma every day since she arrived. I decided to visit lots during the first few weeks to help her feel more at home. During the week of June 9th-11th I have to be out of town for school and I already miss grandma! I was having some near perfect days with grandma when on Saturday morning she finally gave me the talking to that everyone else has experienced. Then on Sunday morning we had another great day together! I am never sure what to expect but every time she kisses me goodbye my heart melts.

On Sunday she talked about how she feels that she did not appreciate everything and everyone until it was too late. She also said that she feels like she is missing out on too much. I don't know how we can include her more. If you send any letters or title your blog posts as "read to grandma" I will be sure to sit down and share them with her. I could also write down her thoughts and personal responses and send them back to you. Perhaps if grandma feels that she is truly communicating she will feel more connected.

When I have helped grandma get ready in the mornings I kept thinking that something was missing. Her neck seemed extremely bare without her cross necklace. I have not looked through her things yet but does anyone know if she has a necklace and her lanyard for her glasses? She has been wearing her glasses but constantly takes them on and off. I don't know if things around her neck would be hazardous but I could at least put them on when she has family visitors and then take them off for the nights.

Another tip - if she has been crying you might offer her a washcloth with warm water to wash her face. She says it feels very comforting.

I love you all! Everyone is welcome to stay at any of the Erickson/Simmons hotels if you come to the area. My place is exactly 17 minutes away from her house.

We should plan something special during the lake this year to coordinate our visits with grandma. It is only a little over a month away until the lake!

3 comments:

Well it sounds like you are having good visits. It sounds like Mom is talking a lot more than she used to and doing a lot more. It is good to hear that. I probably won't make it up until school is out. I hope she continues to improve. Love, Janice

 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

On Thursday grandma specifically asked if she could see Janice and John. She was not emotional about it - but she was just thinking about her twins before their birthdays I think!