There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

Sat., May 22 - Mom Is In Her New Home...

Just to let you know that I will not be sending out HOURLY or even daily updates as a norm... :) Just some more notes on today, Barbs move, and Mom...

This morning Pat was able to be with Mom in the am before he went to help Barb move. He said she was up and dressed when he got there about 7:30. He was able to stay and have breakfast with her. They have designated seats in the dining room and Mom has the best table in the room - facing a large slider/picture window looking out into the inner courtyard where there is children's play equipment. We also noted this afternoon that they have a swing like the ones we had at home and it is rigged so a person in a wheelchair can 'ride.' I won't take 10 paragraphs to explain..you will just have to see it when you are visiting.

I got there as Pat was just leaving. It was really a pretty good morning although Mom had her crying/wailing moments. But the good news is that even when she was doing some wailing or crying - she was usually also talking. We actually had some conversation... She did ask 'When will this ever end?" I was curling her hair and she was weeping.... and she said she "was sorry." When I asked her what she was sorry for, she said, "I am sorrry I am crying. I don't know why I am crying. I can't help it." I thought that was pretty insightful.

The nurses had some questions about some meds and I talked with them out in the hallway.... I was impressed with their willingness to work through pretty much anything. We talked about the wailing and they said that it really is expected/normal with the transitions that she has undergone in the last three months - being moved from Charbonneau, losing her spouse of 60+ years, being moved again... I was encouraged by their understanding and their positive outlook. The people who work with our elderly are pretty special people...

Wheelchair: I think Pat is going to call Bill - but in case someone else knows about the wheelchair. Callaway faxed Riverview this morning asking them what to do with the wheelchair. We had told them to return it to the medical provider as we thought it was leased/rented. Does anyone know the answer to this? We did take the wheelchair cushion because Bill had said they had purchased that... At this point the physical therapists will do an evaluation on Monday or Tuesday and they can recommend the type/size of chair to get...

Kirsten and Huy stayed with Mom during lunch and I think Dick is there now. Pat and I are planning to go back at 4:30 and stay through dinner. Pat mentioned at Breakfast that Mom lifted and took bites of her toast independently three different times. Kirsten said she ate well at lunch... Maybe she will actually end gaining a little weight. Last week as part of intake the nurse asked me how much I thought Anne weighed, and I said I really didn't know but I would guess about 110. Well, she weighed in at 87 pounds yeserday.... we need to try and get a little bit of meat on those bones.

Barb and ryan's move: Pat and Barb said it went well - they had hired a couple guys to move the heavy stuff and Pat, Dick, Greg and Chad helped with all the other 'stuff.' OF course, with good planning, Chad is also moving today so Ryan and Barb will probably feel like they have run a marathon by this evening. Pat said their new house is pretty special. Hopefully I will be able to see it tomorrow.

God Bless - will write more when I can.....

0 comments: