There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

Thu., May 27 - Tears, Anger, Humor and Haldol

Not a great morning as Mom was in a crying mode. But by the time I got there at 10:30 she was in the hallway by the nurse. They had brought her out to the nurses station to keep her engaged. Just as I got there they had her feeding one of the three in house dogs... Dr. Dentler had them stop the Xanax and she had an injection of Haldol to see if that would stop the crying. It seemed to have worked. While she was not cheery, she was not crying unconsolably.

I was able to stay thru while she was on the verge of tears a number of times, she did not move into crying/wailing. She started crying once and I told her I couldn't understand what she was saying... she stopped and then told me in a rather forceful voice, "Well, maybe you should TRY harder!" So I responded that I would if she would also try not to cry. She just looked at me but she did not go back to crying. :)

She was really more verbal - I had thought that the Haldol might be very sedating but she seemed to be more communicative. They serve wine at dinner on Thursdays and she indicated she didn't want any by shaking her head. She responded the same when asked if she wanted some apple bubbly... but I turned to them to say that maybe they should go ahead and try the apple bubbly... but she tapped me on the arm three times hard, and then said to me, "I do NOT want any of that.

Barb came at dinner and before she came Mom told me "I want to get out of this place." "Why do you keep leaving me here?" and "Why don't you take me home?" While I know these don't indicate happy thoughts - I'm pretty impressed that she is communicating!

When I kissed her goodby while she was sitting next to Barb, I told her I loved her. She responded: (and this is verbatim) "I would like to say I love you too, but deep down in my heart I can't say that." (At this point Barb covered her mouth and was laughing uncontrollably. I whispered to Barb that I forgave her Mom for saying what she did, but I would NEVER forgive Barb for laughing!!! Oh - even in the midst of angst we find a little humor...

Barb will fill us in on the evening events.... and I Pat and I will update everyone on the Care Conference tomorrow. God Bless All

0 comments: