There's Coffee Cake on the Counter and Zuchinni Bread in the Freezer...

Sharing information about the matriarch of the Erickson Family...

Update From Pat again....

Dear Family

Medical
John (Day Charge Nurse) advised me tonight that Dr. Dentler had ordered some changes in Mom’s medication. Effective today they have discontinued using the fentanol patch (for pain) as he thought it too sedating. They will give her a 2.5 mg of methadone daily for pain. They will also stop using Haldol in seven days as they have begun giving her 2.5 mg. of zyprexia for 4 days and then 2.5 mg b.i.d. p.o. ( 2x daily by mouth.) The zyprexia is a psychotropic drug that may help her with dementia /agitation /moods (sadness). They use zyprexia for agitation with psychosis, etc. They will also give her 20 mg b.i.d. p.o.(2x daily by mouth) of omeprazole (Prilosec) for acid reflux.

Social
Mom has had a good three days. Monday, when I got there, she was wearing a plastic apron as they had carved a dozen jack-o-lanterns. I am not sure what she did, but she had pumpkin seeds and pulp on her hands. Yesterday she was at bingo when I got there, but was basically just watching; however, I was there she did put a couple of chips on correct numbers all on her own. Both days she seemed generally happy-especially when Barb, Belle and Claire arrived. Today they had their monthly candlelight & wine dinner so I volunteered to stay for the prime rib. They had tablecloths, electric candles and linen napkins. I tried to coax mom to feed herself again and she did manage three bites but really showed no interest in eating. She ate another 3-4 bites that I fed her but essentially ate very little. I carried on a running conversation with Pietra (resident) and the staff and at least 6 times mom commented. When I spoke directly to her she mostly just smiled and nodded. The recreational therapist said she walked 15 feet today, which is the first time in over a week that she walked at all. Read her a letter from Frank yesterday and she tried to say something about his letter but I could not understand.

She really loves to have her back scratched, almost coos, so when you visit I would recommend that be the first and last thing you do when you're there.

Tomorrow I am joining Lyn in Peoria for 6 days. I think Spokane is going on week three of grey, drippy days. I don’t think I am going to miss that...

Love to all - Pat

0 comments: